For the last six months I have been on a MAJOR kombucha kick. Thanks to Dietitian Cassie, I've been sold on the countless benefits of this addicting tonic. Its claim to fame is its rich source of probiotic. Newsflash!
“The road to health is paved with good intestines!” ― Sherry A. Rogers
I gladly "treat" my gut daily with this fizzy drink. However, at $4 a pop, it's a pricey addiction. Case in point, I started to make my own! Making your self costs about five cents a bottle!! It takes about 30-45 minutes to brew a batch and it takes a minimum of seven days to ferment until you can add flavor and drink. It has become part of my weekly routine. If I don't have time, it's perfectly okay to let it sit for a few weeks. (The longer it sits the fizzier and less sugar your kombucha will contain.)
Have questions? Here are some great trusted resources to satisfy your every quandary!
- Where the heck do I find a scoby?
- Can I use organic sugar?
- How much Kombucha should I drink per day?
- Kombucha for kids?
- Can I use less sugar?
- Where should I store my kombucha while processing?
- What flavors should I try?
- Other tips...
What you will need:
- 1 C White Sugar
- 4 C Purified Water
- 4 Organic Black or Green Tea Bags (Caffeinated!)
- Flavoring of choice (fruit, spices, extracts)
- CLEAN Glass 1 - Gallon Jar
- Cheese Cloth + Rubber Band
- Glass jars for processed kombucha
What is your favorite flavor to add to your kombucha?