Sweet Potato Chili
What's better than chili on a cold Fall or Winter day? This year I went searching for a chili recipe without beans & sugar. Chili often has hidden sugar in tomato sauce or added to balance spice. I have been aware as of late to avoid for the most part FODMAPS, or foods that easily cause inflammation. Beans are one of the offenders (in some people).
Currently there is large quantities of Sweet Potato Chili in our freezer to have healthy quick lunch options prepared. It has a subtly sweet kick, and is full of filling protein!
We also took this "hit" to our family Thanksgiving this year.
From our family to yours, enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chili: 10 Servings
- 2 Lbs ground turkey
- 1 red onion
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 2 cans rotelle tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 C beef or vegetable stock
- 3 carrots, chopped (about 1 C)
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (4-5 C)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T thyme
- 2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 C chili powder
- dash of oregano
- dash of cyan pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown turkey, onion and garlic. Add remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Slow Cooker Option: Instead of simmering on the stove for 3 hours, put in the crockpot on low and let simmer for 8 hours.
**Bonus: Pair chili with spaghetti squash and sautéed spinach. Season squash with olive oil, oregano, dried garlic, black pepper & salt.