Morrocan Cabbage Wraps
Living grain-free forces creativity. Apart from the incredible health advantages I've experienced, the intentional creativity is an added bonus. Enter the W R A P conundrum...
Chipotle burritos, wheat wraps, pita bread, pita pockets, pita chips, flour tortillas, each one conveniently hold lots of deliciousness together making each bite an explosion of D E L I S H.
(Insert superhero cabbage here.) A sturdy, slightly bitter yet sweet green or purple biennial plant bursting with vitamin C & K. Also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6 & folate. Cruciferous veggies like cabbage may also help stimulate detoxification. Just keep in mind that consuming too much at a time may result in bloating and gas...
Cabbage, cabbage, the magical...wait. Never mind.
This superfood is sturdy enough to withhold generous fillings, warm or cold without breaking unlike its cousin, sissy lettuce leaves. Cabbage leafs add a nice crunch and texture as a perfectly acceptable wrap replacement. All the grain free folks & wannabe's say "amen!".
What does a blogger do with this discovery? Create a recipe of course! In honor of, well, Y O U. Enjoy!
Moroccan Cabbage Wraps
- Fresh green cabbage washed, gently deconstructed keeping 6-12 leafs intact, keep in fridge
Warm Veggie Filling:
- 6-7 Medium carrots
- 2 C Mushrooms
- 1/4 Head cauliflower
- 1/2 C Yellow onion
- 1/2 C Cilantro
- 3-4 T Toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 T Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 T Fresh Garlic clove
- 1 T Cumin
- Heat pan to medium heat with 3-4 T toasted sesame oil, add chopped garlic clove first.
- Finely chop veggies, or pulse together in a food processor until a rice-like texture.
- Add to pan, immediately add spices & cilantro.
- Saute until mixture is soft, keep warm & set aside.
- 1 C Canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 T Toasted Sesame oil
- 1/2 t Cumin
- 1/2 t Garlic (fresh or dried)
- Dash Cayenne pepper
- Dash Lemon juice (optional)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- While veggie mixture is sautéing, heat up a small pan with 2 T toasted sesame oil on medium high heat.
- Once pan is heated, add chickpeas, spices, & lemon juice.
- Frequently toss the chickpeas until crispy and slightly blackened, then set aside. You may need to add a bit more oil as they fry.
- 2 Large lightly seasoned chicken breasts, grilled & finely diced
- 1/2 Lb Lightly seasoned ground turkey/beef, browned
- Lightly season and grill or brown meat beforehand, set aside.
Coconut Dipping Sauce:
- 1 C Light coconut milk
- Handful cilantro
- 1 t Cumin
- 1 t Garlic
- 1 t Ginger,grated
- Dash hot sauce or cayenne pepper
- While chickpeas are frying, add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth, let cool in fridge.
Optional Additional Wrap Toppings:
- Diced avocado
- Chopped Cilantro
- Cauliflower rice
- Place each filling in separate dishes.
- Assemble each cabbage wrap with your desired fillings, repeat, enjoy!
*Try adding to your filling options, rice (for grain eaters), goat cheese, you name it, let the creative juices flow!
What was your favorite filling? Did you add anything different or a special spice that made these Moroccan Cabbage Wraps pop even more? Do share!